- Online Learning
- Publications & Journals
Latest News from DLIFLC
November 16, 2015
Marking the second anniversary of the opening of the Military Intelligence Service Historic Learning Center on Crissy Field in San Francisco, veterans…read more...
November 3, 2015
Zhijian “Kevin” Yang has been teaching at the Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center’s Asian School I since 2007, but his story begins…read more...
October 26, 2015
Maj. Gen. James A. Adkins, a 1976 Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center graduate in Russian, spoke to current Russian students at the…read more...
DLIFLC Change of Command
Basic Language & Culture
- Rapport includes six to eight hours of language and culture pre-deployment training. It is mandatory training for all civilian and military Army personnel deploying to Iraq or Afghanistan. Available in Dari, Pashto, Iraqi, Swahili, Hausa, Portuguese, French, Modern Standard Arabic, and Korean.
- Headstart2 is 80 to 100 hours of self-study pre-deployment instruction designed for the training of one small unit leader per platoon. The lessons contain interactive tasks, language-specific pronunciation guides, and cultural familiarization and orientation modules. Headstart2 is available in a stand alone (DVD format) or on-line version.
- Cultural Orientation
- Cultural Orientation introduces a given cultural group, combining brief language exchanges with an objective and practical look at daily life in different contexts. Topics include religion, traditions, family life and differences in the lifestyles of urban and rural populations.
- Countries In Perspective
- These country studies begin with a country profile containing basic facts, followed by a more detailed discussion on geography, history, economy, society and security.
- Swahili Familiarization
- This self-paced, interactive introductory language course in Swahili uses videos and multimedia activities to introduce Swahili language and culture. Topics include: basic greetings, travel phrases, numbers, time, currency, and making appointments, among others.
- Language Survival Kits
- Language Survival Kits include text, audio recordings, and translations for up to 3,000 mission-related phrases.
- Legends & Folktales
- Short animated stories in English that introduce famous myths, legends, and folktales from cultures across the globe to enhance cross-cultural literacy and provide insight into societies
- Online Diagnostic Assessment
- Take an online test to estimate language proficiency in reading or listening. ODA helps learners determine the subject areas and language specifics to improve, with customized suggestions for GLOSS lessons to help reach proficiency goals.
- Cultural Awareness Assessment
- Test your familiarity with a particular society, including geographic facts, major religions, history, security situation, social customs, and basic survival phrases in the dominant language of the region.
- Global Language Online Support System
- GLOSS The Global Language Online Support System offers thousands of lessons in dozens of languages for independent learners to improve their foreign language skills.Lessons are available for intermediate and advanced learners, with the ability to focus on specific topic areas, tailor ed for building listening and reading proficiency.
- Weekly Training Events
- Organized in four hour blocks, these in-depth GLOSS lessons are designed to help Command Language Program Managers provide packaged materials to professional linguists.
- Advanced North Korean
- These supplementary materials for North Korean dialect language learning can be incorporated into basic, intermediate, or advanced courses to provide students with cultural and regional information about North Korea.
- Phone Conversations
- Familiarity with regional dialects and realistic dialogues is key to achieving advanced listening proficiency. This site contains more than 300 casual phone conversations in non-standard dialects of Spanish and Arabic. Arabic materials also include lesson plans for classroom use.
- Accents Library
- Available in Spanish and Arabic, this product offers a collection of audio files read in both “standard” language, and in several regional accents to illustrate dialect variations that occur in everyday speech.
- Arabic Grammar Search
- Have you forgotten a fine point of Arabic grammar? The Arabic Grammar Search takes you inside the language with complete A-Z search and help functions.
- Post-Basic Delivery System
- The PBDS is for official use by Language Training Detachments and provides the ability to view online or download Post Basic Course materials by week, as compressed archive (zip) files.