The Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center Hall of Fame honors those persons who have contributed significantly to language training or use within the Department of Defense. It consists of a permanent display at the Presidio of Monterey, with appropriate displays describing the stalwarts of the defense language community and their valuable contributions to improved language training and better employment of military linguists in the defense of our nation.
DLIFLC Hall of Fame Criteria
- Any person who has made a lasting contribution to language training or military linguist operations within DoD is eligible for nomination to the DLIFLC Hall of Fame. To ensure that actions for which persons are nominated are of an enduring nature, and to prevent any appearance of impropriety, all actions must have occurred at least ten years prior to the date on which the nomination is submitted.
- A distinguished alumni or friend of DLIFLC who attained a position at the highest levels of public service, industry or academia.
- An individual who made significant contributions of service at the very highest levels (nationally or internationally) to society and their nation, coupled with significant advocacy of DLIFLC.
- An individual who made distinctive contributions and/or supported an area of learning associated with foreign relations and foreign language and culture.
- An individual who exhibited a distinguished professional achievement that reflects great credit on the nominee and DLIFLC.
Anyone may submit a nomination for a DLIFLC Hall of Fame candidate.
The cutoff for consideration of a nomination is June 1, 2016.
Nominations that are not selected for induction will not automatically be considered again in future years. If a nominator wants to have a nomination reconsidered, he or she must resubmit the nomination.
Submissions should include the following:
- Name, address, phone number, and e-mail of person submitting the nomination to allow for questions and follow up information
- Name of nominee, address, phone number, and email of the nominee or a representative of the individual
- Relationship to DLIFLC, if any
- Detailed justification for the nomination (max three pages long)
- A professional 8×10, head and shoulders portrait, minimum 150 dpi in a .jpg format
To submit nominations in hard copy:
DLIFLC Mission Public Affairs Office
ATTN: Hall of Fame Induction
1759 Lewis Rd., Bldg. 614, room 111
Presidio of Monterey, CA 93944
Contact Mission Public Affairs Office
Honorees are selected from among all nominations by a review board consisting of:
DLIFLC Assistant Commandant
DLIFLC Command Sergeant Major
DLIFLC Testing Director
DLI Foundation President
Selection is by simple majority vote. The review board will convene mid-June 2016 to select Hall of Fame inductees. There is no minimum or maximum number of honorees selected.
Honorees selected by the board are notified in a letter from the DLIFLC commandant. The list of all honorees will be published on the DLIFLC and DLI Foundation websites, and through appropriate news outlets.
Honorees are invited to attend the annual induction ceremony held on Nov. 4, 2016. Hall of Fame honorees or their representatives will have an opportunity to make short remarks during the induction ceremony Nov. 4, which will be coordinated in advance with DLIFLC staff. However, attendance at the ceremony is not required for induction into the Hall of Fame.
As a part of the preparation for the event, honorees or their representatives will be expected to send official biographies and a professional photo of good resolution to DLIFLC staff following the notification of induction into the Hall of Fame.
The induction ceremony will include the unveiling of descriptive displays (photos, documents, etc.) describing the honoree and the reason for induction.
This event is held in conjunction with the DLIFLC 75th Anniversary Ball celebration that will take place on Nov. 5, 2016, at the Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel from 6 pm to 11 pm.